Former Raiders standout has surgery after accident

Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Tuesday, August 5, 2014 10:21 pm

Tina Foster believes her son, former Southeast Whitfield High School star athlete Blake Foster, “should not be alive” based on how his 2003 Ford Ranger looks after an accident Monday evening in Resaca.

She also believes he is alive “by the grace of God.”

It is believed Blake either fell asleep or passed out while driving on Hill City Road in Resaca; his truck veered off the road before colliding with a tree. The accident occurred at around 5:15 p.m., Tina Foster said. Blake suffered a broken right femur (thigh bone), a broken finger on his left hand and a cut on his chin that required stitches.

Blake was taken to Gordon Hospital in Calhoun, according to an email from Tracey Watson, a spokesperson with the Georgia Department of Public Safety. Watson said Blake was charged with failure to maintain lane. He was transferred to Hamilton Medical Center, where he had surgery on his leg Tuesday afternoon.

“He’s only alive by the grace of God,” Tina Foster said. “He hit the tree square on. He never touched his brakes.”

Blake, who graduated from Southeast this spring, started at shortstop for the Raiders the past four seasons and was selected to The Daily Citizen’s All-Area Baseball Team each year. He was a three-time All-Area Football selection and earned honorable mention for that sport as a senior this past fall. He also played basketball as a freshman and sophomore.

Blake batted .511 during his senior baseball season with nine doubles, four home runs and 33 RBIs.

This summer, he won the home run derby before the Stump on Sports Tennessee-Georgia All-Star Baseball Classic.

Tina Foster said her son wasn’t feeling well Monday while working at Doors and Windows of Dalton.

“It’s really hot outside and he made the comment at the end of the day that he was exhausted,” she said. “He remembered being really tired and doesn’t remember how it happened. I don’t know if he nodded off.

“It appears he went to sleep or passed out. The tree was right on the edge of the road. You could stand on the edge of the road and touch the tree.”

Southeast baseball coach Brad Lofton said his former player was “in pretty good spirits” Monday and added Blake is lucky he didn’t suffer more serious injuries.

The family recently moved to the Sugar Valley community in Resaca. Tina Foster said she received a call soon after arriving home from work Monday from a resident along the road where the wreck happened. After hearing it was a car crash involving Blake, she said her “heart dropped” but then the caller assured her that Blake was OK and that an ambulance was on its way.

“I had no idea what I was going to see when I drove there,” she said. “We give God all the credit because he should not be alive based on the truck.”

The “Southeast Football Raider Station” Facebook page, maintained by the school’s football booster club, posted the news Monday evening.

“Pull together as a Nation and lift him and his family up,” one of the page’s posts stated.

Blake received several college baseball scholarship offers but ultimately decided not to pursue the sport further, Lofton said. Tina Foster said Blake is enrolled at the Rome campus of Georgia Northwestern Technical College, which does not have a baseball team.

“He was ready to move on to the next chapter in his life,” she said.



To view or purchase photos, visit