From Staff Reports
All three local school systems — Dalton, Whitfield County and Murray County — are closed for students today because of the threat of bad weather.
Dalton Public Schools and Whitfield County Schools will use today as professional learning days for staff.
• For Dalton Public Schools, students will now not return to school from winter break until Wednesday. Scheduled after-school extracurricular activities for students will be held as planned.
“Professional learning for our staff is a high priority and we want to honor the limited time we had planned into our school calendar for our teachers and staff to participate in their scheduled staff development,” said Jim Hawkins, superintendent. “We believe moving the professional learning day to Tuesday, Jan. 7, gives our teachers and staff their much-needed time for development and keeps our students, many of whom walk to school each day, out of these unprecedented extreme weather conditions.”
School will resume for students and staff on a regular schedule on Wednesday. Because a snow make-up day was scheduled into the 2013-2014 school calendar, students and staff will attend school on Friday, March 14.
• Staff members of Whitfield County Schools will report at 8 a.m. today for their professional learning day.
• Murray County schools are closed today and there will be no evening activities. Students were scheduled to report back to school on Monday following winter break.
• Whitfield County Transit Service will be closed today.
• The Gilmer Center of Dalton State College was closed on Monday and will reopen today. DSC’s main campus has been open. You can check Dalton State’s website at www.daltonstate.edu, DSC on Facebook or call the Roadrunner Alert (706-272-2493) for updates.
• The North Georgia Health District office and public health departments in Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield counties are delaying opening today until 9 a.m. For updates, log on to www.nghd.org.