From Staff Reports
Fire officials hope to know more on Wednesday about what caused a fire at a brick building that was home to a cabinet business on Cleveland Highway.
Whitfield County Fire Chief Carl Collins said the fire broke out at the building at 2218 Cleveland Highway around 7 a.m. on Tuesday, damaging much of the structure before officials could get it under control.
All of the first floor and part of the second were occupied by Cabinets and More, but Collins said no one was inside at the time. A firefighter who responded had to be checked out by medical responders after becoming overheated but is OK.
Three stations from the county fire department responded, as is standard in cases involving commercial structure fires. The Dalton Fire Department assisted with a ladder truck because of the intensity of the heat coming off the second story, officials said.
Dalton Deputy Fire Chief Gary Baggett said a passerby called the fire in. Dalton firefighters helped restock responders’ air supplies in addition to helping fight the fire, he said.
Collins said Dalton firefighters used their truck to climb onto the roof, cut a hole and ventilate the structure to help as responders battled intense heat. By the time they got the fire under control — about an hour after it started — and left the scene — at around 11 a.m. — responders were exhausted, Collins said.
“We don’t really suspect anything suspicious,” Collins said of the cause of the fire, “but everybody was just so worn out.”
He said firefighters hope to return to the scene on Wednesday and determine a cause.