Submitted by the Dalton Police Department
The city of Dalton will once again host the Red Carpet Half Marathon Saturday morning. There will also be a 5K race and a 2K fun run.
To make way for the runners, there will be several road closures along the race route. Dalton Police officers will be on hand to block traffic and direct motorists along detours, but drivers should plan ahead now to avoid the area.
The 5K and half marathon races start at 8 a.m. The 2K race will start at approximately 10:30 a.m. Here’s a list of the road closures planned for the race (once roadways are no longer being used for runners, they will be re-opened):
• King Street: Closed on Friday at 6 p.m. from Pentz to Selvidge Street.
• Selvidge Street: Closed from the entrance of BB&T to Crawford Street from Friday at 6 p.m. until cleanup is completed on Saturday.
• Pentz Street: Closed from King Street to Crawford Street during the races. Closed from Emery Street to Morris Street from 10:15 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.
• Hamilton Street: Closed from Hawthorne Street to Franklin Street.
• West Franklin Street: Closed until the last 5k runner exits onto Thornton Avenue.
• South Thornton Avenue: Outside southbound lane closed from Walnut Avenue to Hawthorne Street.
• Waugh Street: Outside eastbound lane closed from Jones Street to Thornton Avenue.
• Jones Street: Closed from Waugh Street to Crawford Street.
• Crawford Street: Closed from Cappes Street to Valley Drive.
• Ridge Street: Closed from Murray Hill to Crawford Street.
• Lewell Street: Entrances to the east side of the cemetery at Cuyler Street and General Thomas Drive closed during the half marathon.
• Emery Street: Closed at Tibbs Road, and closed from Lewell Street to Thornton Avenue during the 5K and half marathon. Westbound lane closed from Hamilton Street to Pentz for 2K.
• Miller Street: Closed from Franklin to Emery.
• Valley Drive: Closed from Franklin to Crawford.
• Cuyler Street: Closed between Thornton Avenue and Lewell Street.
• West Walnut Avenue: Outside westbound lane closed from Thornton Avenue to Tibbs Road.
• Tibbs Road: Closed between Walnut Avenue and Shugart Road.
• Maple Way/Ella Lane: Closed.
• Wood Valley Drive/Wood Valley Court: Closed.
• Shugart Road: Northbound outside lane closed.
• Chattanooga Road: Outside eastbound lane closed from Shugart Road to Old Chattanooga Road.
• Old Chattanooga Road: Closed until the last half marathon runner is clear.
• North Thornton Avenue: Partial southbound lane closed (6 feet from curb) from Old Chattanooga Road to Trammel Street. Southbound lane closed from Trammel Street to Hawthorne Street.
• Hamilton Street access lane beside the Waugh Street Bridge: Closed.
• Morris Street: Closed from Thornton Avenue to Hamilton Street.