Local News

January 31, 2014

‘Extensive damage’ to burned home near fire station

An “older home” that caught fire late Thursday night near a Whitfield County fire station sustained “extensive damage” despite firefighters arriving on scene within a few minutes of receiving the call, according to Chief Carl Collins.

Collins said firefighters responded to the call on LaFayette Road just west of Freeman Springs Road around 11:30 p.m. and learned the fire started from an electrical source in the attic of the one-story home.

“It’s an old house, and they have a tendency to burn faster,” Collins said, “and it being up in the attic, it probably had a pretty good start before it was seen.”

Collins said the residents — a family that included children — were at home when the fire started but were all able to get out safely.

Collins said three fire stations responded to the call as is standard for a home fire.

1
Text Only
Local News