December 20, 2012

Officials: Clothes dryer fire guts home

Rachel Brown
rachelbrown@daltoncitizen.com

— An overheated clothes dryer started a mobile home fire just outside of Dalton on Tuesday, officials said.

Whitfield County Fire Chief Carl Collins said there were no injuries, but the home on Athens Way past Dalton Golf and Country Club was gutted on the inside. Collins didn’t know all of the details of the situation, but he said the family was being assisted by the American Red Cross and has a place to stay at least for the next few days.

“(The fire) pretty much gutted it on the inside,” Collins said. “The sides and the roof were still on it, but it was pretty much totaled on the inside.”

Collins said responders told him the dryer was packed full of pillows, and for some reason it overheated, catching the home on fire around noon.