By Christopher Smith
A mobile home was engulfed in flames early Thursday morning while the father was driving his two children to school, said officials with the Whitfield County Fire Department.
Firefighters arrived at 178 Travis Way at 7:39 a.m., minutes after the fire broke out, said Assistant Fire Chief Randy Kittle. A five-gallon water cooler in the home might have overheated and started the fire that left the father, his wife and their two children without a home.
“Everyone in the family was out at the time of the fire,” Kittle said. “No one was hurt. They (the residents) said the water cooler wasn’t that old, but that is where the fire first started. We haven’t ruled anything out as to a cause. That was just what our preliminary investigation showed: that the water cooler was in the vicinity of the first flames.”
County Fire Chief Carl Collins said the family was given clothing and shelter through the American Red Cross.
“Their home is basically destroyed,” he said. “It’s standing, but it’s burned out. No one was hurt thankfully.”