Call it Black Thursday.
The Christmas shopping season traditionally begins on the Friday after Thanksgiving, known as Black Friday. But this year retailers across the nation plan to kick things off even earlier, with many having special hours and special deals on Thanksgiving Day itself.
Black Friday is typically one of the busiest shopping days of the year, and the National Retail Federation reports some 140 million Americans plan to shop online or in stores during the four-day weekend starting Thursday, down from 147 million in 2012. But the federation is predicting holiday sales will be up 3.9 percent this year.
• Walnut Square Mall will open at 8 p.m. on Thursday, as will a number of mall stores including Belk, Sears, JC Penney, Zales, Rebel Soul and Trendy You. All mall stores will be open by midnight Thursday. Shoppers can check out WalnutSquareMall.com to find out more about hours and special deals.
• Walmart closes only on Christmas Day, so it will be open Thursday and Friday with numerous special deals both days.
• Kohl’s will open at 8 p.m. Thursday and remain open all day Friday. There will be discounts and special deals.
• Academy Sports and Outdoors will open at 5 a.m. on Friday, closing at 10 p.m.
Call it Black Thursday.
- Local News
Dalton police officer acts to save injured dog
A dog hit by a car in the middle of Walnut Avenue is getting a second chance at life thanks to the actions of a Dalton police officer and his family.
Registered sex offender charged with numerous drug offenses
A registered sex offender who was living where he was not supposed to was arrested by the Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office and charged with numerous drug offenses as well as a sex offender registration violation.
- Eton native stars on TV again
Cleanup of thousands of tires could start later this summer
It took the owner of a property on Lake Kathy Road just six months to accumulate an estimated 7,000 tires. Whitfield County officials alerted the state to the illegal business almost a year ago, and now state officials say they may be close to cleaning up the property.
Chatsworth woman dies after her truck runs over her
A Chatsworth woman died after she was run over by her own truck after apparently falling out while backing out of a steep driveway.
Candidate pressed on ads at judicial forum
Contempt of probation.
It’s a charge Superior Court Judge David Blevins says doesn’t appear in state law, and he has been running ads noting that his opponent in the July 22 nonpartisan runoff, Dalton Municipal Court Judge Jim Wilbanks, has sentenced numerous people on that charge.
Kingston stops in Dalton, talks jobs
In his bid for the U.S. Senate, U.S. Rep. Jack Kingston has toured much of the state. At every stop, the message from voters has been clear.
Calhoun men in sexual battery case indicted
The three recent Calhoun High School graduates charged in the assault of a classmate at an alcohol-fueled, post-prom party in May in Ellijay were indicted Monday by a Gilmer County grand jury on charges of aggravated sexual battery.
Chemical accident injures one
An accident Monday morning at a Dalton chemical plant injured one worker and caused officials to briefly close streets around the plant.
Whitfield public works crews help with Bulky Waste Roundup
Whitfield County Public Works crews recently helped with the annual Bulky Waste Roundup event, where residents were invited to dispose of their bulky waste and electronics for free.
- More Local News Headlines
- Dalton police officer acts to save injured dog