Call it Black Thursday.
The Christmas shopping season traditionally begins on the Friday after Thanksgiving, known as Black Friday. But this year retailers across the nation plan to kick things off even earlier, with many having special hours and special deals on Thanksgiving Day itself.
Black Friday is typically one of the busiest shopping days of the year, and the National Retail Federation reports some 140 million Americans plan to shop online or in stores during the four-day weekend starting Thursday, down from 147 million in 2012. But the federation is predicting holiday sales will be up 3.9 percent this year.
• Walnut Square Mall will open at 8 p.m. on Thursday, as will a number of mall stores including Belk, Sears, JC Penney, Zales, Rebel Soul and Trendy You. All mall stores will be open by midnight Thursday. Shoppers can check out WalnutSquareMall.com to find out more about hours and special deals.
• Walmart closes only on Christmas Day, so it will be open Thursday and Friday with numerous special deals both days.
• Kohl’s will open at 8 p.m. Thursday and remain open all day Friday. There will be discounts and special deals.
• Academy Sports and Outdoors will open at 5 a.m. on Friday, closing at 10 p.m.
Call it Black Thursday.
- Local News
Police arrest Dalton business owner, two others, in synthetic marijuana bust
Three people, including a Dalton business owner, have been arrested, and more than 22 pounds of synthetic marijuana seized, following an investigation that began in June, police said.
- Splash into summer
Guild building defaced with graffiti
Dalton Police are investigating graffiti tagging that appeared over the weekend on the Creative Arts Guild facility on Waugh Street.
Police investigating attack on Dalton man
A Dalton man was attacked by several men while walking along South Dixie Highway in the early morning hours Wednesday, police said.
New book teaches kids about cancer
Kathy Mashburn is no stranger to cancer.
Hammock promoted at trade center
Sue Hammock has been promoted to director of sales-meetings for the Dalton Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) and the trade center.
Whitfield 911: Drunk driver causes several wrecks
A drunk driver on Cleveland Highway Wednesday evening caused several wrecks resulting in several minor injuries, Whitfield 911 said.
Man charged with statutory rape
A Ringgold man was charged by the Whitfield County Sheriff’s Office with statutory rape after a man reported he had sex with the man’s teen daughter.
Bond denied for man charged with false imprisonment
A man who was arrested at a Dalton motel after his girlfriend reported he refused to let her leave a room and assaulted her was denied bond on Tuesday in Whitfield County Superior Court.
Robbins takes GOP nod for Whitfield commission
The second time was the charm for Dalton banker Barry Robbins.
- More Local News Headlines
- Police arrest Dalton business owner, two others, in synthetic marijuana bust