May 8, 2014

Officials: Mohawk fire started from blown bulb

Rachel Brown
rachelbrown@daltoncitizen.com

— A fire that sent 30 responders to a Mohawk Industries facility on Antioch Road Wednesday afternoon appears to have started from a blown light bulb, officials said.

Randy Kittle of the Whitfield County Fire Department said the preliminary investigation shows a bulb blew, fell down on some combustible items below and ignited the blaze. Kittle said a sprinkler system at the facility at 2001 Antioch Road contained the fire until responders arrived.

They were able to control the fire about 30 or 40 minutes after arriving, he said. The call came in at 4:20 p.m. Kittle did not have a cost estimate on how much damage the fire caused, but he said no one was hurt, and the blaze was contained to an area about 40 feet wide by 40 feet long.

Robert Webb, senior director for public affairs and corporate communications for Mohawk, said the extrusion plant, which makes a product used to make yarn for carpet, resumed normal operations by 9:30 p.m. Wednesday.

Webb said the official cause of the fire hasn’t been confirmed yet, and he was unable to provide an estimate on damage on Thursday. He praised the fire department’s response and said everyone is glad there were no injuries.