• Mary Young from Chatsworth was honored at the Excellence in Athletics Day at Belhaven University. To be recognized, students who excel athletically had to earn at least a 3.0 grade point average.
• Victoria McFarland of Dalton has enrolled at the Coastal Carolina University in Conway, S.C., for the fall 2013 semester.
• Rafe E. Uscanga, a graduate of Dalton High School, received a $5,000 Horatio Alger Georgia Scholarship from the Horatio Alger Association of Distinguished Americans organization. Scholarship recipients were picked based on their demonstrated commitment to education, dedication to community service and strength of character in overcoming personal obstacles to achieve academic excellence.
• Several locals graduated from Emory University in Atlanta recently. From Dalton, Lindsey Bramlett received an associate of arts, Sareena Gillani received a bachelor’s of arts and Courtney Weil received a master’s of business administration. From Rocky Face, Josef Oliver received a master’s of business administration.
• Several locals were on the dean’s list at the Georgia Institute of Technology in Atlanta during the summer 2012 semester. From Dalton were Murphy Dixon, Kaitlin Hoyt, Nathan Minor and Michael Roan. From Chatsworth was Stephanie Douthitt. To be on the list, students had to earn a grade point average of 3.0 or above.
• Leland Warnack was on the spring 2013 president’s honor roll at Johnson County Community College in Overland Park, Kan. To be eligible, students must take at least 12 credit hours and earn a 4.0 grade point average. Warnack is a graduate of Northwest Whitfield High School and is majoring in railroad operations.
• Kanza Kabir of Dalton received an associate degree in arts from Oxford College of Emory University in Oxford.
• Amber Khan and Elizabeth Mosley of Dalton were on the name of the dean’s list at the Savannah College of Art of Design in Savannah during the 2012 fall quarters. To be on the list, students must earn a grade point average of at least 3.5.