March 7, 2013

Overheated glue blamed for fire

Rachel Brown

— A glue cartridge that overheated when it was left next to a hot test oven sparked a fire at Marktec Inc. in Dalton Thursday morning but it was quickly contained, officials said.

Dalton Fire Department Deputy Chief Gary Baggett said there were no injuries, and a sprinkler system controlled the fire before responders arrived.

Marktec manufactures acrylics.

“Before they run a batch of their acrylic, they’ll do some testing, and they have a test oven in a room, and some of that glue cartridge was accidentally lodged between the wall and the oven,” Baggett said. “We don’t know how long that had been there, but the exterior of the oven gets pretty hot during a test.”

The call came in at 4:28 a.m. for the structure at 1311 Needham Drive. No chemicals were involved in the fire, officials said.

A message left seeking comment from a company representative wasn’t immediately returned.