April 7, 2014

Grease fire shuts down McDonald’s on West Walnut Avenue (Updated 6:30 p.m.)

Rachel Brown
rachelbrown@daltoncitizen.com

— A small grease fire this morning at the McDonald’s on West Walnut Avenue did little damage but at least temporarily shut down the restaurant, officials said.

Dalton Fire Department Battalion Chief Todd Pangle said the fire started shortly before 10 a.m. in a kitchen fryer. An automatic extinguishing system quickly contained it, he said, but the blaze was enough to keep the eatery from serving any more fries and hamburgers for much of the day.

A McDonald’s employee said Monday afternoon workers hoped to reopen the restaurant later in the day or by sometime Tuesday. Entrances to the parking lot had been blocked off with vehicles, and employees could be seen cleaning out some of the equipment. Contacted later in the evening, another employee said they didn’t yet have an estimated reopening time. No injuries were reported.

Pangle said most patrons had evacuated by the time firefighters arrived.

“It wasn’t a real big fire,” he said. “It was all confined and contained.”