The Creative Arts Guild will host an opening reception for the exhibit “The Creative Arts Guild: 50 Years in the Making” at its First Friday event on Friday beginning at 5:30 p.m. The Guild celebrates its 50th anniversary as Georgia’s oldest community-based arts organization this year.
The Kentucky Derby is known as “The Most Exciting Two Minutes in Sports.”
But the annual Derby Day, a fundraiser benefiting Dalton’s Friendship House, lasts much longer.
Derby Day is Saturday at the Dalton Freight Depot. Guests can socialize with friends, wear seersucker and big hats, engage in friendly wagering and enjoy traditional Kentucky Derby food and drinks.
From 4 to 6 p.m. there will be a silent auction. At 6:24 p.m., the Derby race begins. A live auction immediately follows the race.
Tickets are $50 each or $80 for two in advance. They are $60 each at the door. For reservations, call (706) 278-8012 or email email@example.com.
Highlights of this year’s event include:
• A venue change to the historic Freight Depot.
• Derby fare including ham biscuits, fried green tomatoes, pecan tassies, bourbon balls and mint juleps.
• A best hat contest with judge Donna Ivester Burnett (last year’s winner).
• An auction hosted by auctioneer Wilburn Dycus.
• You can place bids now at www.biddingforgood.com/derbyday and there will be items to bid on live at the event.
• New auction items include international trips, executive level tickets to the SEC Chick-fil-A Kickoff Game at the Georgia Dome, season tickets to Dalton State College Roadrunners men’s basketball and a firehouse tour with Dalton Fire Department.
• Old auction favorites include accommodations at Kimpton Hotels, a Mother’s Day package, a wine connoisseur evening at The Farm, a weekend at Bear Paw, event and football tickets, a Panama City condominium stay and hunting on Dalton Utilities Land Application System property.