Local News

November 14, 2013

Pet dog perishes in Chatsworth fire

A house fire that started between 3 and 4 p.m. on Wednesday claimed the life of a pet dog, said Dwayne Bain, chief of the Murray County Fire Department.

Bain said a middle-aged married couple escaped the house at 4288 Highway 76 in Chatsworth without injury, but could not rescue their dog from the fire. The pet perished before firefighters could get the blaze under control, Bain said, adding that the house was “heavily damaged.”

“Right now, the fire is under investigation,” he said. “There doesn’t appear to be any wrongdoing.”

An exact cause of the fire won’t be known for awhile as firefighters investigate, Bain said, but it could be tied to “something electrical.”

“The American Red Cross is taking care of them,” Bain said of the couple. “We don’t think anyone is at fault at this time.”

Bain said he can “never stress enough” the need for people to make sure their houses have smoke detectors with fresh batteries, although that wasn’t necessarily a factor in this instance, he said.

Jerri Davis of Chatsworth is organizing help for the couple and is asking for donations, including of clothing and food. For specifics on how to help, call Davis at (706) 280-2282.

1
Text Only
Local News