Qualifying for elected positions in local cities and counties will take place during the final week of this month. Election Day is Tuesday, Nov. 5.
• In Dalton, the offices of Ward 2 and Ward 4 on the City Council, currently held by Dick Lowrey and Gary Crews respectively, and the open seats currently held by Mark Orr and Steve Williams on the Board of Education, will be up for election. Orr and Williams have said they will not seek re-election this year, as has Lowrey.
Qualifying will take place from Monday, Aug. 26, to Wednesday, Aug. 28, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. in City Hall. The qualifying fee for City Council is $360, and the fee for the Board of Education is $35.
• In Varnell, qualification will take place Monday to Wednesday, Aug. 26-28, from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. each day at City Hall. The qualifying fee is $35. Seat 1, currently held by James Caldwell, and Seat 2, currently held by Brent Newsome, are up for election, as is the mayor’s office. Mayor Dan Peeples has said he will not seek re-election this year.
• Qualifying for the Cohutta Town Council election will take place Wednesday, Aug. 28, through Friday, Aug. 30, at the law office of Todd Johnson at 313 Wolfe St. from 10 a.m. to noon and from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. Up for election this year is the mayor’s post, currently held by Don Henderson, the open seat currently held by Ben Manis and the open seat most recently held by Gabriel Powers. There is no fee to qualify.
• Three City Council seats — Posts 3, 4 and 5 — are up for election in Tunnel Hill. Those seats are currently held by, respectively, Ray Anderson, Alfred “Hub” Griffin and Mayor Kenny Gowin. The City Council elects the mayor. Qualifying times are 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Monday, Aug. 26; 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Tuesday, Aug. 27; and 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, Aug. 28, at City Hall. The qualifying fee is $35.
• Chatsworth will hold qualifying at City Hall from Wednesday, Aug. 28, to Friday, Aug. 30, from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The qualifying fee for City Council races is $144. Post 1 and Post 2, currently held by Celeste Martin and Wayne Graves respectively, will be up for election.
• Eton will hold qualifying at City Hall from Monday, Aug. 26, to Friday, Aug. 30, from 8:30 a.m. to 2 p.m. Post 1, which is currently vacant, and Post 2, which is currently held by Steve Shaw, are up for election, as is the mayor’s seat, which is currently held by Billy Cantrell. The qualifiying fees are $117 for City Council and $156 for mayor.
No county elections are scheduled this year.