December 5, 2012

Woman denied sentence reduction in Fort Mountain death case

Mark Millican
Ellijay Times-Courier

ELLIJAY — A Dalton woman sentenced to prison for confessing her role in her ex-husband’s remains being found on Fort Mountain in 2010 had her request for a sentence reduction denied on Tuesday, according to testimony in Gilmer County Superior Court.

Loretta Hade Ivey, 50, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in February in the death of former Dalton resident John Patrick Hade and was sentenced by Judge Amanda Mercier to 15 years with nine years to be served in prison.

Mercier was on the bench again to deny Ivey’s motion for reduction.

“She argued her innocence,” said Assistant District Attorney Cory DeBord, who listened as Ivey represented herself before Mercier. “She said she’d made a bad choice about who she’d had sex with, and said it was Shawn (Ivey) who confessed to it. She repeated what she’d filed in the motion.”

Shawn Glenn Ivey, a former Ellijay resident who was arrested in Rabun County a week after Hade’s remains were found in September of 2010, pleaded guilty to voluntary manslaughter in December 2011. He was originally sentenced by Judge Brenda Weaver to 20 years with 12 years to be served in prison, but in October Weaver resentenced him to 15 years with nine years to be served in prison.

Loretta Ivey was married to John Hade before she was married to Shawn Ivey, according to court records. Georgia Bureau of Investigation officials believe the Iveys conspired to kill Hade, 53, sometime in July or August of 2007 and dumped his body on the eastern flank of Fort Mountain near the Gilmer-Murray county line.

Both Iveys were originally charged with malice murder, aggravated assault, concealing a death and abandonment of a dead body.

“I am not guilty of said crime and 15 years to report to parole or probation is harsh considering my innocence,” Loretta Ivey wrote in her motion to modify sentence filed in February. “I sincerely pray and ask that my sentence be reduced and my charge changed to a lesser crime such as not reporting the crime due to fear of my own life.”

Both Shawn and Loretta Ivey blamed each other for Hade’s death in separate court appearances during their sentencing hearings. A forensics report revealed Hade died of “blunt force trauma” to the head.

Loretta Ivey also voiced concerns about her daughter in the motion.

“(She) has been forced to live in dangerous conditions since she has no other place to go,” she wrote, mentioning her daughter is now 18. “I’ve been warned that she’s living with a crack dealer ... in Tampa, Fla. I’ve not heard from her in two months. I need to be released sooner to get her away from this life-threatening environment.”

Ivey claimed in the motion she “maybe” would not have gotten involved with Shawn Ivey if she had not been drinking.

“(Shawn) did tell me of other persons ... since he murdered John Hade,” she said. “There are two other persons missing and upon my earlier release I’m willing to once again aid in their discovery.”