• Dalton Public Schools has rescheduled its professional learning day to Tuesday for all district staff. Students will not return to school from winter break until Wednesday. Scheduled after-school extracurricular activities for students will be held as planned.
“Professional learning for our staff is a high priority and we want to honor the limited time we had planned into our school calendar for our teachers and staff to participate in their scheduled staff development,” said Jim Hawkins, superintendent. “We believe moving the professional learning day to Tuesday, Jan. 7, gives our teachers and staff their much needed time for development and keeps our students, many of whom walk to school each day, out of these unprecedented extreme weather conditions. “
School will resume for students and staff on a regular schedule on Wednesday. Because a snow make-up day was scheduled into the 2013-2014 school calendar, students and staff will attend school on Friday, March 14.
• Whitfield County Schools will be closed for students on Tuesday due to the weather. Staff members will report at 8 a.m. on Tuesday for a professional learning day.
• Murray County schools are closed today and Tuesday because of the expected bad weather. There will be no evening activities. Students were scheduled to report back to school today following winter break.
• The main campus of Dalton State College opened at noon today. The Gilmer Center is closed today and will reopen on Tuesday. You can check Dalton State's website at www.daltonstate.edu, on Facebook or Roadrunner Alert (706-272-2493) for updates.
• The North Georgia Health District office and public health departments in Cherokee, Fannin, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield counties delayed opening until 10 a.m. today due to icy road conditions. The Gilmer County Health Department will be closed all day. For updates, log on to www.nghd.org.
• The Dalton-Whitfield Senior Center is closed today.