Dalton Public Schools, Whitfield County Schools and Murray County Schools are closed Tuesday because of the threat of bad weather. Also, all campuses of Georgia Northwestern Technical College will be closed Tuesday.
Local after school care and activities are still running according to their usual schedule for today, Whitfield County Schools officials said.
• The Whitfield County Republican Party meeting scheduled for Tuesday evening has been changed to March 11 at 7 p.m. at the Mack Gaston Community Center in Dalton. Jason Halliburton, first vice chairman of the Georgia Black Republican Council, will be the guest speaker.
• After reviewing the most recent weather information and in consultation with local emergency management, the Whitfield County Board of Commissioners has decided to delay the opening of all non-essential county buildings until 10 a.m. on Tuesday. Check the county weather line at (706) 876-1660 or county website for updates after 6 a.m. on Tuesday. This delay does not apply to any essential personnel including all members of the sheriff’s office.
• The Greater Dalton Chamber of Commerce Morning Mixer and Chamber Connections this week have been rescheduled. The Morning Mixer at King Door will be Tuesday, Feb. 18, from 8 to 9 a.m., while the Chamber Connections at Outback Steakhouse will be Friday, Feb. 21, from 11:30 a.m. to 1 p.m.
• The Varnell City Council meeting scheduled for Tuesday night has been moved to Feb. 18.
• The Whitfield County Transit Service will be closed Tuesday due to the inclement weather being forecast. The decision follows protocol that the transit service is closed whenever the Whitfield County school system is closed because of inclement weather.
• As of now, the planned hours of operations for the North Georgia Health District office and all health departments in Cherokee, Fannin, Gilmer, Murray, Pickens and Whitfield counties will be from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Tuesday. This is due to growing concerns over potentially hazardous road conditions. However, the status of hours of operations for one or more of our offices may need to change; therefore, we will be updating our website and other notification systems by Tuesday at 8 a.m., which will include a media update. Also, decisions about subsequent days will be posted by 9 p.m. the evening before on the health district’s website (www.nghd.org) and on Facebook (www.facebook.com/n.ga.health).
Please read Tuesday's Daily Citizen for a complete report on the weather and its impact.