Murray County

August 31, 2013

Poultry house catches fire near Coker Elementary

A poultry house that was being used for storage was essentially destroyed in a Friday afternoon fire that started not far from Coker Elementary School in Murray County.

Large plumes of smoke billowed into the sky from the fire that started at around 12:30 p.m. and officials said the storage area was nearly a total loss. The Chatsworth Fire Department, Murray County Fire Department and Georgia Forestry Service responded.

Officials said the poultry house contained several bales of recently-cut hay. Responders were able to rescue a dog that was in a storage shed nearby, and they saved a tractor from catching on fire.

A message left for the fire chief to inquire about the cause of the fire wasn’t immediately returned.

1
Text Only
Murray County