Family members didn’t know what to think when Whitfield County resident Elsie Babb passed out in her kitchen last week and had slurred speech when she finally came to enough to make a call for help.
“My sister called her and knew something wasn’t right because of her slurred speech,” said Jenny Hayes, one of Babb’s daughters. “She then called another sister who lives next door to her and asked her to go and check on our mother. She found her very disoriented and sick.”
Another family member was called in, checked Babb’s vitals and decided to call 911. When responders from Whitfield County Fire Station 8 arrived, they didn’t know what was wrong and were waiting for an ambulance, Hayes said.
“On instinct, one of the firefighters, Chris Dempsey, asked about a carbon monoxide detector,” Hayes said. “They decided to check the CO2 (carbon monoxide) levels in the house, just to be safe.”
What they discovered may have helped save Babb from another close call. The house contained dangerous levels of carbon monoxide, a potentially deadly gas that can come from a natural gas leak. Firefighters Dempsey, Alan Gallman, Wesley Williams and Vernon Ray stayed at the house, ventilating it and monitoring it until the carbon monoxide levels were down. They even had another monitor brought in to ensure they weren’t getting a false reading.
The family had the heater serviced and the gas leak repaired, then the firefighters returned and checked that all the carbon monoxide was gone.
Hayes said the family thanks the firefighters for “trusting their instincts” and not leaving the carbon monoxide levels to chance.
For their thoroughness in handling what could have been a deadly situation, The Daily Citizen names the Station 8 responders Citizens of the Week.
Successes continue at Dalton State College
These are exciting times for our local college, Dalton State, both on campus and off.
Mark Millican: The birds hushed their singing
For the uninitiated, that line is from what many consider the greatest rock song of all time, “Stairway to Heaven,” by Led Zeppelin.
Misty Watson: When blood sugar drops, anger rises
It wouldn’t have taken 107 married couples and 21 days to figure out that being hungry makes people angry.
Working for the man
You may be one of the many Americans who will rush to file their income taxes today. But you may not yet have earned enough money to pay all of the taxes that will be imposed on you this year.
Letter: The glib tongue, the fake smile
A recent Daily Citizen column by Walter Williams will both awaken and frighten any thinking person who claims even a smidgen of knowledge about — or belief in — either the Bible, world history or current events.
College soccer team would bring local talent together
Dreams of combining the best soccer players from all local high schools into one team finally could come true.
Letter: Primaries feature many choices
Many people are confused this year about the May 20 Election Day. Unfortunately, very few voters in Whitfield County actually go to the polls for a primary election. But this means any increase in participation can have a significant impact.
Letter: Hooper for Murray chief magistrate
Thanks to all the wonderful people and friends who backed me for District 1 Murray County Board of Education. You sure showed a lot of support. Sorry I had to step down due to my and my wife’s health. I am a lot better now.
Judicial dispute could have been avoided
Judicial elections in Whitfield and Murray counties tend to be low key. In fact, we can’t recall the last time an incumbent judge on the Conasauga Superior Court, which cover the two counties, has even faced a challenger.
Citizen of the Week: Jonathan Rose
Running for exercise is a popular hobby among many local residents, but at least one racing enthusiast plans to take his fun a step further today.
- More Opinion Headlines
- Successes continue at Dalton State College