But if the Cats have aspirations of higher things, the passing game has to grow up.
Fortunately for Dalton, Cass is still in its 12-step recovery after this past summer’s drug intervention by Bartow County law enforcement agencies.
Whit’s Pick: Dalton 42, Cass 13
• Cedartown at Southeast Whitfield: Chubb, Cedartown’s all-everything running back, doesn’t run in conventional 40-yard dash times, he is clocked in miles per hour. That equated to a pair of wins by the Bulldogs against the Raiders last year.
The bad news for Southeast is that Cedartown has more options than last year and isn’t relying solely on Chubb left, Chubb right, Chubb up the middle in 2013. The Raiders’ defense has been strong this season, but Southeast has two wins against struggling teams and one loss to a mediocre team. I think the defense has a good shot at limiting Chubb, but the offense is a problem.
Southeast managed just 17 points against Gordon Central. Think about this, Raiders fans: Murray County scored 14 against the same team.
You better hope some improvements were made in the off week or this could get out of hand.
Whit’s Pick: Cedartown 40, Southeast 17
• Christian Heritage at Mt. Zion-Carroll: No matter what the Lions’ defense does, this offense can score a lot of points
But the defense is pretty good, too.
Sorry, I’m not giving you any ammunition this week, Lions fans.
Whit’s Pick: Christian Heritage 42, Mt. Zion 7
• Coahulla Creek at Cartersville: Basically, I am saying that North Murray is eight points better than Coahulla Creek.
Whit’s Pick: Cartersville 55, Coahulla Creek 7
• Sonoraville at North Murray: This is essentially a playoff game because the winner of this likely has the inside track to the No. 4 seed in Region 5-3A. Time to grow up, Mountaineers.
Whit’s Pick: North Murray 15, Sonoraville 14
• Chattooga at Murray County: The boys in green are going to have to prove a lot of things before I pick them to win two weeks in a row.
Whit’s Pick: Chattooga 28, Murray County 6
Chris Whitfield is a sports writer for The Daily Citizen. His back is feeling much better. You can write him at firstname.lastname@example.org.