From Staff Reports
Three of the four area high school tennis squads in the Region 5-3A tournament at Cartersville’s Dellinger Park won Monday to advance to today’s semifinals and secure spots in the upcoming Class 3A state tournament.
Coahulla Creek’s boys won 3-1 against Ringgold, North Murray’s boys won 3-0 against Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe and Coahulla Creek’s girls won 3-1 against LFO. North Murray’s girls lost 3-2 to Sonoraville, bringing the season to a close for the Lady Mountaineers (7-10).
The Coahulla Creek boys (10-5) — the Colts were the No. 3 seed for the region tournament — won behind a singles victory from No. 3 Alex Jarjoura, 6-3, 6-4, plus doubles victories from No. 1 Austin Turner and Donovan Newby, 6-0, 6-1, and No. 2 Jake Stevenson and Andy Dixon, 6-0, 6-7 (5-7), 6-2.
The second-seeded Mountaineers (14-2) won behind a singles victory from No. 3 Dylan Davis, 6-1, 6-2, plus doubles victories from No. 1 Jacob Ledford and Alex Ellis, 6-1, 6-1, and No. 2 Mark Lents and Wesley Ross, 6-0, 6-1.
The top four teams in the tournament advance to state. Winners of this morning’s semifinals — the Lady Colts play Cartersville at 9, while the Colts and Mountaineers face each other at 11 — face off in the 2:30 p.m. championships, while losers will play for third place at 1 p.m.
Coahulla Creek’s girls (7-8) entered as the No. 5 seed and upset fourth-seeded LFO. The Lady Colts won behind singles victories from No. 1 Erin Orem, 6-1, 6-0, and No. 2 Katherine Ann Sheppard, 7-5, 1-6, 6-4, plus a doubles win from No. 2 Sydney Storey and Kennedy Chandler, 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.
The Lady Mountaineers swept the doubles courts in their loss, getting wins from No. 1 Hanna Abdelrazzaq and Lindsey Ray, 6-2, 6-1, and No. 2 Hannah Hensley and Kara Deal, 6-1, 6-2.
• Christian Heritage boys 3, Darlington 2: The Lions (6-4) beat their hosts in a play-in match for Sub-region 6A-A’s final seed for the region tournament, which starts today at Darlington.
Christian Heritage got singles wins from No. 1 Phillip McClure, 6-4, 6-3, and No. 2 Evan Townsend, 7-5, 6-3, plus a doubles win from No. 1 Samuel Pippin and Brian Pierce, 3-6, 6-4, 6-4 to set up today’s 9 a.m. match with Sub-region 6B-A No. 1 seed Whitefield Academy.
• Darlington girls 4, Christian Heritage 1: The lone win for the Lady Lions (5-5) came in doubles as No. 2 Autumn Cress and Mallory Sanford won 6-7, 6-1, 6-1. Christian Heritage needed a victory to reach the Region 6-A tournament, which begins today at Darlington.
• Northwest Whitfield JV boys 4, Trion 1: The Bruins (2-3) got singles wins from No. 1 Braden Howard, 8-3 in pro-set play, No. 2 Santi Angel, 8-2, and No. 3 James Zhong, 8-1, plus a doubles victory from No. 2 Trey Mantooth and Austin Pyron, 8-3.
• Trion JV girls 4, Northwest 1: The Lady Bruins (1-4) received a singles win from No. 3 Anisha Mittal, 8-4.
• Southeast Whitfield did not report results from Monday’s scheduled varsity boys and girls matches at Gilmer by The Daily Citizen’s deadline.
• Dalton’s boys shot a 310 to win an 18-hole match against Northwest (316) and Christian Heritage (337) at Dalton Golf and Country Club,
Allen Behr shot a 2-over-par 74 to earn medalist honors and lead the Catamounts, who also received scoring rounds from Chris Kazmierski (77), William Duffie (79) and Jacob Brown (80).
Ethan Hayes shot a 76 to lead Northwest, which also received scoring rounds from Sam Speights (77), Silas Ledford (81) and Chad Flanders (82). Cole Townsend shot a 77 to lead Christian Heritage, which also received scoring rounds from A.J. Hooper (81), Blake Carver (89) and Kyle Stanley (90).
• Dalton girls 147, Northwest 150: In a nine-hole match at Nob North in Cohutta, Mable McKone shot an 8-over-par 44 to lead the Lady Cats, who also received scoring rounds from Ashleigh Peters (51) and Carson Roberts (52).
Marlee Bingham shot a 44 to tie McKone for medalist honors and lead the Lady Bruins, who also received scoring rounds from Alicia Cole (52) and Dallas Coker (54).
• Amber Lewis shot a 55 to earn medalist honors and lead Murray County’s girls to a nine-hole victory at Spring Lakes in Chatsworth.
Rebekah Wildes added a 63 — par was 37 — for the Lady Indians’ 118, which bested Model’s 129.
In the boys match, Model shot a 202 to finish ahead of the Indians (220), who were led by Dylan Hubbard’s 53. Brady Todd (54), Ethan Wright (56) and Donald King (57) also scored for Murray County.
• Cartersville boys 1, North Murray 0: The teams were tied at halftime and the Purple Hurricanes scored in the 55th minute on a free kick deep in North Murray (11-3, 10-1 Region 5-3A) territory.
Manuel Gonzalez had six saves for North Murray, which took eight shots on goal.
North Murray has three region matches left and is tied with Cartersville in the loss column. The Mountaineers’ next match is Friday at Coahulla Creek, which only has three league losses.
• Cartersville girls 3, North Murray 0: Amber Bandy made 18 saves in goal as the Lady Mountaineers (1-9, 1-9) fell on the road. Veronica Miranda had three shots on goal for North Murray, which trailed 2-0 at halftime.
n Ridgeland girls 0, Christian Heritage 0: No overtime was played as the Lady Lions moved to 1-7-1 with the non-region tie at home.
• Dalton JV boys 3, Southeast 0: Justin Macias scored twice for the Cats (6-1-1), while Kiko Rodriguez had the other goal plus an assist. Goalkeepers Samuel Fraire and Leuri Fraire combined for the shutout.
Track and field
• Murray County had four competitors finish in the top four of event finals on the first day of the Region 7-2A meet held at Pepperell High. They will advance to the Class 2A sectionals.
Catlyn Wilson finished third in the girls discus with a throw of 79 feet, 10 inches. Murray County’s other top-four finishers were Katlyn Richardson (girls 1,600-meter run, third, 6:04); Ivan Delgado (boys 1,600, fourth, time unavailable); Servio Martinez (boys 1,600, third, time unavailable). The meet finishes today.