• Walt Douglas, Coahulla Creek: Another member of a stellar class of freshmen, Douglas has set a high mark for the next three years at Coahulla Creek. In his first season, he was second to Fraire at the region meet, third at the Big Harry and had three top-10 finishes in Chattanooga Area Cross Country League meets. His personal record of 16:52 established a new school mark as well. Since the start of the season, he dropped nearly three minutes off of his time, Deslattes said.
• Henson Gibbs, Northwest: Gibbs was solid all season and had his most impressive performance on the biggest stage. After leading his team to the state meet, he had the second-fastest time from the area with a 17:51 on the challenging Carrollton course. He was fourth at the Bruin Invitational at the start of the season and sixth overall at the Region 7-4A meet with a time of 17:20. Northwest finished second overall at region. This is Gibbs’ first selection to the all-area team.
• Servio Martinez, Murray County: Racing in Class 2A, Martinez had the best place finish at state, taking 19th with a time of 18:18. He was 12th at the Bruin Invitational and 11th in Region 7-2A, which had a very strong group of runners across the board. The Indians were second at region behind Calhoun and were ninth at state. Martinez was also second overall at the Union County Invitational and third at the Calhoun Invitational. He and Fraire are the only seniors on this year’s team, and this is his first selection to the all-area team after earning honorable mention in 2010 and 2011.
• Luis Perez, Southeast Whitfield: The area’s fastest runner on the state course in Carrollton, Perez ran a 17:47 against the top runners in the state. His times improved dramatically over the course of the season. Another freshman, his personal record for the year was 17:14, and he finished a surprising fifth overall at the Region 7-4A meet after Bishop said she pegged him for a 10th-to-15th-place finish. Making the trip individually to state, he was 20th in Class 4A.
• Honorable mention: Coahulla Creek — Rachel Cherry, Timothy Hooper; Dalton — Brandon Pineda, Ashley Parham; Murray County — Jose Ruiz; Northwest Whitfield — Jen Rivera, Dylan Richards, Lane Bramblett.