Coahulla Creek High School’s softball team closed its regular season Thursday with a 7-2 victory on the road against Gordon Central.
Madeleine Kalafut and Shelbe Dilbeck each went 2-for-4 — Kalafut also drove in a run — and the Lady Colts (20-7, 10-4 Region 5-3A) scattered 10 hits throughout their lineup.
“When we got a lead, we were able to get some other players some at-bats who don’t get as much playing time,” Coahulla Creek coach Josh Swiney said. “No. 1 through No. 9 in our lineup can hit the ball.”
Dilbeck pitched all seven innings, striking out three and allowing no earned runs on eight hits. The Lady Colts committed three errors.
“Defensively, it was not one of our better games, but that’s one thing we addressed after the game,” Swiney said. “We have to clean it up defensively. Other than that, we had a good game tonight.”
Coahulla Creek joins North Murray on Saturday at Hamilton Crossing in Adairsville for the start of the Region 5-3A tournament.
The Lady Colts will be seeded third, while North Murray will be either the fifth or sixth seed, Lady Mountaineers coach Steve Granger said. North Murray’s seed depends on results from other games in region play on Thursday that were unknown at The Daily Citizen’s deadline.
For more on all of the region tournaments involving teams in Murray and Whitfield counties, please see Saturday’s edition of The Daily Citizen.
• Southeast Whitfield is riding a four-match winning streak after beating Lakeview-Fort Oglethorpe 25-22, 25-17 and then topping Northwest 26-24, 25-20 in a tri-match at the Lady Bruins’ gymnasium in Tunnel Hill.
Angie Purkey tallied 45 assists and 14 digs for the Lady Raiders (26-10), while Yasmeen Paloblanco finished with 17 digs and Melisa Fraire had seven digs. Wendy Perez chipped in 19 kills and 10 digs, Gaby Gonzalez and Serena Ramsey each had 11 kills and Yolanda Melgarejo had 10 kills.
Northwest lost 25-15, 25-15 to LFO in the third match. For the night, Mary Kate Allen had 16 kills and two aces for the Lady Bruins (20-18), while Peyton Maret finished with 13 kills and Kennedy Hughes had five digs and two aces.
Northwest and Southeast finished their regular season schedules with Thursday’s action. Both teams will join Dalton next week in competition at the Area 7-4A tournament, which starts Thursday.
• Christian Heritage won a pair of matches at Ringgold, beating the host Lady Tigers 27-25, 25-17 and then topping Tennessee’s Lookout Valley 25-22, 19-25, 16-14.
Jessica Seehorn tallied 42 assists and 17 kills to lead the Lady Lions (19-8), while Savannah Roberson finished with 27 kills, Brenna Mugge finished with 23 digs and Caroline Swafford added three aces.
The Lady Lions closed the regular season with the sweep. They begin competition in the Area 4-A tournament on Tuesday.
• Coahulla Creek lost 25-20, 30-28 to Ridgeland but rebounded to beat Calhoun 25-8, 25-14 in a tri-match at home for the Lady Colts’ senior night.
Macey Fossett finished with 20 assists and four kills for Coahulla Creek (10-26), while Erin Orem had eight kills and Nikki Ross added seven kills and four blocks.
The Lady Colts closed their regular season with the split. They’ll join North Murray in competition at the Area 5-3A tournament beginning Thursday.
• Murray County lost a pair of Area 5-2A matches, falling 22-25, 25-19, 25-7 to Pepperell and 25-17, 25-11 to Coosa.
Alex Johnson had 18 assists for the Lady Indians (3-20, 3-9), while Tiffany Markey added 19 digs and Heidy Cabral finished with 13 assists. Kathryn Hill had five kills and Cassidy Dixon added four kills, while Greta Lazzarotta had seven aces for Murray County, which begins postseason play Thursday in the Area 5-2A tournament.
• Southeast 35, Murray County 12: Devin Fields had touchdown runs of 50 and 5 yards to help the Raiders remain undefeated through three games.
Colter Faith added a 5-yard touchdown run and 10-yard touchdown pass to Corey Barnes, while Matt Moss returned an interception 22 yards for Southeast’s other score.
Bernie Dela Garza and Mason Grant each had an interception, David McCurry recovered a fumble and Ramiro Guerrero went 5-for-5 on extra points.
Murray County did not report statistics by The Daily Citizen’s deadline.
• Ridgeland 42, Northwest Whitfield 22: Alejandro Coronel scored two touchdowns while Jay Jones caught a touchdown pass and a two-point conversion pass from Paxton Pardee to lead the Bruins (2-2).
Will Brock added a two-point conversion, Mason Shepard and Noah Conry forced fumbles and Jordan Lopez recorded four tackles for a loss.