From Staff Reports
Dalton High School’s boys track and field team won the Mohawk-Warrior Invitational meet’s 16-team field at Gordon Central High School despite not having a single individual winner.
Dalton scored 132 points to take the team title, with Calhoun (112) in second and Woodland-Bartow (59) in third. Northwest Whitfield (16) finished 11th. North Murray (2) finished 16th.
For Dalton, Kelvis Rhodes placed second in the high jump with a best of 6 feet, 2 inches and third in the long jump with a best of 19-6. Dalton’s other top-three finishers were: Zek Cobb (long jump, second, 19-10; triple jump, third, 42-1/2); Seth Gabriel (300-meter hurdles, third, 42.86 seconds); Hayden Gross (shot put, second, 48-9 1/2); Nate Mays (shot put, third, 43-10); Jordon McKinney (300 hurdles, second, 42.37); Francisco Perez (3,200-meter race, second, 10:25.56); Brandon Pineda (1,600, third, 4:46.87); Angel Rodriguez (800, second, 2:05.22); the 4x100 relay of Cobb, Mays, Austin Mills and Rhodes (third, 44.32); and the 4x400 of Colton Fromm, McKinney, Pineda and Rodriguez (second, 3:36.68).
Riverdale won the girls team title with 125.5 points, followed by Woodland (99) and Calhoun (58). Dalton (39) finished seventh and Northwest (36) finished eighth.
For Dalton, Adrianna Bryant won the triple jump with a best of 35 feet, 1 1/2 inches, and she also finished third in the 100 dash in 13.15. Dalton’s other top-three finisher was Natalie Ramos (shot put, third, 30-3 1/2).
For Northwest, McKinley Hopkins won the 100 hurdles in 16.27 and finished second in the 300 hurdles in 50.70.
• Coahulla Creek’s Josh Foxx won the high jump event at the Dennis Craddock Carolina Relays at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. His best was 6-3.
• Northwest’s Ethan Hayes shot a 6-over-par 77 as the best-reported local scorer at the Gordon Lee Invitational at Canyon Ridge in Rising Fawn.
Dalton scored a 335 while Northwest scored a 340. Coahulla Creek also played but didn’t report team scores or individual scores by The Daily Citizen’s deadline. Heritage-Catoosa won with a 316, while Gordon Lee and LaFayette rounded out the top three.
Addison Lambert shot a low round of 80 for the Catamounts, while Davis Kirk (83), Jacob Brown (86) and Landon Hicks (86) also had scoring rounds.
Chad Flanders (83) was Northwest’s second-best round, followed by Tyler Clayton (87) and Chandler Lomax (93).
• Dalton’s girls finished third at the Creekview Invitational at Woodmont Golf Club in Canton with a team score of 273.
Etowah won with 248.
Ashleigh Peters shot an 87 for the Lady Catamounts on the par-72 course. Mable McKone (90), Carson Roberts (96) and Baylee Mitchell (111) also played for Dalton.
• Oconee County boys 1, Southeast Whitfield 0: Ivan Ortiz made two saves in goal for the Raiders, who fell behind around five minutes into the second half.
Southeast (8-4-1) finishes fourth in the Westminster Invitational.
• Whitefield Academy boys 5, Christian Heritage 0: The Lions fell to 0-7 overall and 0-6 Area 6-A with the home loss.
Andrew McEntyre made 10 saves in net on Whitefield’s 15 shots. Christian Heritage, which trailed 2-0 at halftime, took five shots.
• Results from Christian Heritage’s girls game with Whitefield Academy were not reported by The Daily Citizen’s deadline.