From Staff Reports
Coahulla Creek High School’s Zack Glines had pitched well in a few relief appearances this season, even getting credit for a win over Dalton, and Colts coach Michael Bolen believed he deserved a shot in the starting rotation.
After Wednesday night’s 8-0 win over Gordon Central, Glines will likely stay there.
Glines pitched a complete-game no-hitter and faced just two batters over the minimum.
The sophomore struck out four and walked two, and Bolen said both runners who reached base were awarded first after an umpire called Glines for an illegal pitch, saying the pitcher’s foot was off the rubber.
At the beginning of the season, Glines was still going through rehabilitation for an offseason elbow injury.
“He wasn’t able to get on the mound much at the beginning of the season, so he had been in relief through the non-region schedule as we built his arm strength back up,” Bolen said. “He threw 78 pitches tonight, and his location was working all night.”
Tucker Sheram had a big day at the plate for the Colts (4-8, 1-2 Region 5-3A) going 3-for-4 with a pair of doubles, four RBIs and two runs scored. Scout Plott and Blake Phillips each added a pair of hits.
• Dade County 6, Murray County 1: In Chatsworth, Javy Adame was 2-for-3 and Austin Carnes doubled and drove in a run for the Indians (0-8, 0-6 Region 7-2A). Andrew Corbin worked all seven innings of the loss on the mound, allowing three earned runs on eight hits and six walks while striking out eight.
• North Murray boys 4, Ringgold 1: The Mountaineers (10-2, 9-2 Region 5-3A) kept rolling with a win over the visiting Tigers, getting singles wins from No. 1 Drew Mosteller, 8-2 in pro-set play, and No. 2 Dylan Davis, 9-7, plus doubles wins from No. 1 Mark Lents and Alex Ellis, 8-4, and No. 2 Jacob Ledford and Dylan Garland, 8-0.
• North Murray girls 5, Ringgold 0: The Lady Mountaineers (5-7, 4-7 Region 5-3A) lost just five games, getting singles wins from No. 1 Harmony Jones, 8-4, No. 2 Andrea Dunn, 8-0, and No. 3 Alex Westmoreland, 8-0, along with doubles wins from No. 1 Hanna Abdelrazzaq and Lindsey Ray, 8-1, and No. 2 Han-nah Hensley and Kara Deal, 8-0.
• Dalton boys 5, Darlington 0: The Cats (10-2) took a non-region win at Darlington with singles wins from No. 1 Jacob Johnson, 6-2, 6-4, No. 2 Nathan Bryant, 6-1, 6-0, and No. 3 Will Alderman, 6-2, 1-6, 10-2, along with doubles wins from No. 1 B.J. Rowland and Thomas Delay, 6-1, 6-1, and No. 2 PK Bhatter and Efra Uscanga, 6-4, 6-1.
• Dalton girls 3, Darlington 2: The Lady Cats (11-1) were tested but pulled out the road victory with a singles win from No. 2 Kara Pendley, 6-2, 7-6 (7-5), plus doubles wins from No. 1 Sheridan Fromm and Mackenzie Cresswell, 6-4, 6-3, and No. 2 Rachel Bakker and Caroline Calfee, 6-2, 6-1.
• Northwest Whitfield JV girls 3, Woodland-Bartow 2: The Lady Bruins (1-3) swept singles matches with wins from No. 1 Tilea West, 6-0, No. 2 Nicole Brewer, 6-1, and No. 3 Anisha Mittal, 6-3.
• Northwest JV boys 4, Woodland 1: The Bruins (1-3) got singles wins from No. 1 Israel Urquiza, 6-3, No. 2 Braden Howard, 6-3, and No. 3 James Zhong, 6-2, and a double wins from No. 2 Trey Mantooth and David Dickie, 6-0.
• North Murray boys 174, Southeast 177, Murray County 226: Colby Hipp took medalist honors with a 1-under-par 35 to lead North Murray to the win in a tri-match at Nob North. Hipp was joined in scoring for the Mountaineers by Zach Sanford (45), Colton Peters (46) and Jacob Sexton (48).
Scorers for Southeast were Andrew Head (42), Jackie Stephens (44), Cam-eron Maynard (45) and Eric Sosebee (46).
Murray County’s scorers were Dylan Hubbard (55), Brady Todd (55), Ethan Wright (57) and Jake Ice (61).
• Results from a scheduled varsity girls match between Dalton, Murray County and North Murray were not reported by The Daily Citizen’s deadline.
• Southeast Whitfield JV boys 2, Murray County 0: Ronaldo Sandate and Artemio Lopez scored the only goals of the game, and Cruz Ruis and Miguel Guzman combined for the shutout in goal for the Raiders (4-1).
• Southeast JV girls 4, Murray County 2: Maria Quijano, Lucero Fraire, Judelle Heruea and Brittany Sandoval each scored and Sydney Covington was in goal for the Lady Raiders (3-1). Scoring for Murray County were Cheyenne Sancho and Morgan Devitte.
Track and field
• Results from a scheduled varsity meet at Dalton High that was to include Murray County were not reported by The Daily Citizen’s deadline.