By Lindsey Derrick
Dalton Public Schools
For the second year in a row, Dalton Public Schools’ six elementary schools took to the Dalton High School track to show off their running skills.
The April 25 event featured runners from each school in grades 3-5 participating in five events — the 100-meter dash, 200, 400, 1,600 and the 4x100 relay.
The event was sponsored by Dalton Public Schools and the Carpet Capital Running Club and featured volunteers from the central office, the track coaches and athletes of the Dalton High School track team, City Park School, Westwood Elementary School and the Bradley Wellness Center. Each school also had administration and teachers helping with the event and sitting in the stands to cheer on their students.
City Park principal and track meet organizer Rick Little said the event helps students from the different schools develop relationships with each other before they move on to Dalton Middle School.
“The elementary track meet provides an opportunity for students from each of our schools to come together for a day of friendly competition,” Little said. “We have seen tremendous sportsmanship from the students as they support runners from other schools during the meet.”
After the points from the day were tallied, trophies were given to the first-, second- and third-place boys girls boys teams from each age group. There were also overall winners for the boys and girls.
Little said because the meet has had such success, the plan is to make the event an annual occasion.
“The first two years have been extremely successful due to the hard work and efforts of many individuals in organizing a quality event for the students of (Dalton Public Schools),” he said. “We celebrate academic and music in district-wide activities, so this is one way to celebrate that athletic abilities of elementary students.”
The elementary track meet will be the last meet held on the current Dalton High School track, which will be redone in the upcoming year.
• Third-grade boys results: 1. Park Creek, 2. City Park, 3. Westwood, 4. Roan, 5. Brookwood, 6. Blue Ridge.
• Third-grade girls results: 1. City Park, 2. Park Creek, 3. Westwood, 4. Brookwood, 5. Blue Ridge, 6. Roan.
• Fourth-grade boys results: 1. City Park, 2. Westwood, 3. Park Creek, 4. Brookwood, 5. Roan, 6. Blue Ridge.
• Fourth-grade girls results: 1. Park Creek, 2. City Park, 3. Westwood, 4. Roan, 5. Brookwood, 6. Blue Ridge.
• Fifth-grade boys results: 1. Park Creek, 2. Roan, 3. City Park, 4. Westwood, 5. Brookwood, 6. Blue Ridge.
• Fifth-grade girls results: 1. City Park, 2. Park Creek, 3. Westwood, 4. Brookwood, 5. Roan, 6. Blue Ridge.