Murray County High School’s volleyball team looked a lot different to coach Kim Richards on Thursday.
Now the Lady Indians’ record looks different, too.
Murray County opened its Area 5-2A schedule with a tri-match at home and picked up two wins, beating Model 19-25, 28-26, 25-11 and Pepperell 25-17, 18-25, 25-19. The victories were also the first wins of any kind this season for the Lady Indians.
“The mood prior to this — we had just come off two bad losses to Sonoraville and Southeast Whitfield — they were pretty down on themselves. They felt they could’ve played better,” Richards said of her Lady Indians. “When we started today in these matches, they seemed to be more determined.”
For the night, Cassidy Dixon had seven kills for Murray County (2-10), while Lilly Harris and Keona Brinkman each had three kills. Alex Johnson had 27 assists, Heidy Cabral chipped in nine assists and nine aces and Tiffany Markey added six digs.
Richards commended her back row and Markey in particular.
“Before tonight, our defensive specialist and libero were shanking balls and putting them right at the net for the other team,” Richards said. “But tonight it was right on the money.”
• North Murray beat host LaFayette 25-22, 21-25, 25-23 and Coahulla Creek 18-25, 25-19, 25-22.
In the tri-match, Erin Robinson had 11 kills and nine blocks for the Lady Mountaineers (10-8), while Harmony Jones added six kills and four aces. Grace Phillips had 29 digs in the LaFayette match alone.
The Lady Colts (0-9) lost to LaFayette 25-23, 14-25, 18-25.
For the night, Macey Fossett had 32 assists, five kills and one ace for Coahulla Creek. Gabrielle Henderson added nine kills, plus five aces and as many digs. Erin Orem had seven kills, five aces and four digs, while Nikki Ross had seven kills and three aces.
• Northwest Whitfield split a pair of matches, beating Chattooga 25-14, 25-23, and losing to Heritage-Catoosa 25-13, 24-26, 25-17.
For the night, Whitley Brooker had 29 assists and three aces for the Lady Bruins, who suffered their first loss in eight matches to start the season. Mary Kate Allen added 19 kills and six blocks, while McKinley Hopkins had 11 kills.
• Dalton lost to Ringgold 25-15, 25-15, and Ridgeland 25-16, 25-19.
The Lady Catamounts (1-4) were led by Katie Wilson’s 18 assists, Ashleigh Peters’ 17 kills and Macie Noles’ 12 digs.
• Northwest’s junior varsity team beat Chattooga 25-8, 25-17, but lost to Heritage 25-14, 25-5.
MaLane Kyer had nine assists, four kills and four aces for the Lady Bruins (4-2), while Holly Heath chipped in six kills and three aces.
• The two local games scheduled for Thursday — North Murray at Coahulla Creek in Region 5-3A action and Dade County at Murray County in Region 7-2A competition — were postponed due to either the threat of inclement weather or wet field conditions. Makeup dates have not been set for either contest.