The Daily Citizen
Add your news
• If you have a tournament, registration, camp, meeting, tryout or other local sports event you’d like to have listed, we will include it at no cost in our Local Sports Calendar, which publishes every Sunday in The Daily Citizen. The calendar is also posted at daltonnow.com/sportscalendar. To be published, information must be submitted by noon on Friday. Send the details of your announcement to email@example.com.
• North Georgia Fellowship of Christian Athletes will hold its annual Home Team Celebration Banquet on Monday at 6:30 p.m. at the trade center in Dalton. This year’s theme is “Redefining Victory: In God We Trust” and the featured speaker will be Capt. Geoffrey Whitaker, a teacher and wrestling coach at Stockbridge High School. Whitaker is a Georgia Tech graduate, a two-time National Collegiate Wrestling Association All-American, a former Navy SEAL and a former Army chaplain who survived a head injury after being given a less than 10 percent chance of living. FCA will honor veterans and highlight its new Women in Sports ministry. The banquet is open to the public, but reservations are required by calling (706) 226-5144 or writing to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Carpet Capital Running Club’s 27th Running of the First (and Maybe the Only) Dalton St. Patrick’s Day 2-Mile Road Race to benefit Dalton City Special Olympics is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. on Thursday at ChristChurch Presbyterian on Tibbs Road. The entry fee is $20, but Special Olympians may participate at no cost. Registration is available by visiting active.com or sending a check for Dalton City Special Olympic to P.O. Box 661, Dalton GA, 30722. Awards will be given to the first male and female overall as well as the top three in each age group. Advanced registration is required to be guaranteed a T-shirt. To learn more, contact Lisa Hughey at (706) 313-3404 or email@example.com.
• The 20th annual Whitfield Education Foundation Golf Tournament is scheduled for 1 p.m. on April 28 at Dalton Golf & Country Club. Registration is $550 per four-person team or $150 per individual. Winning teams will receive prizes, and all participants receive unlimited range balls, tournament favors and a buffet lunch. Funds raised will support innovative teaching grants for Whitfield County Schools. Registration forms are available at wcs.whitfield.k12.ga.us. To learn more, call (706) 217-6756 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The 39th annual Roman Open Charities Golf Tournament is scheduled for May 12 at Dalton Golf & Country Club. There will be tee times in the morning and afternoon, and the registration fee is $800 for each four-man team. There will also be a designated championship flight that will be played in the morning, and the cost is $1,000 per team. The winners of the championship flight will receive trophies and have their team name engraved on a trophy which will be on display at the club. Funds raised will be distributed to local charities. For more information, to register a team, to volunteer or to sponsor the event, contact Andrea Ownbey at email@example.com or (706) 980-3884. Businesses wanting to help sponsor the event can also contact Vann Brown at firstname.lastname@example.org.
• The Dalton Parks and Recreation Department is looking for youth soccer referees with knowledge of the sport’s rules and regulations. To learn more, call Steve Roberts at (706) 463-2860.
Clubs, teams, leagues
• Dalton State College will host the Little Roadrunner Volleyball League for boys and girls ages 6-14 beginning Tuesday at ChristChurch Presbyterian in Dalton. Players will be coached by by Dalton State players from 4 to 5:30 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays. The cost is $80 per player and includes a T-shirt. To learn more, write to Roadrunners coach Bruna Langner at blangner@daltonstate. edu.
• The Dalton State College cheerleading program will host three clinics this spring at the school’s Bandy Gymnasium. A stunt clinic will be held March 29 from noon to 5 p.m. for ages 14 and over. A college prep clinic will be April 5 from noon to 5 p.m. for ages 12 and over. A youth clinic will be held April 19 from noon to 5 p.m. for ages 5 and over. For more information, visit the Dalton State cheerleading Facebook page, www.dsroadrunners.com or call (706) 529-7623.