The Daily Citizen
Add your news
• If you have a tournament, registration, camp, meeting, tryout or other local sports event you’d like to have listed, we will include it at no cost in our Local Sports Calendar, which publishes every Sunday in The Daily Citizen. The calendar is also posted at daltonnow.com/sportscalendar. To be included, information must be submitted by noon on Friday. Send the details of your announcement to email@example.com.
• UGA Day in Dalton is scheduled for 6:30 to 8 p.m. Thursday at the trade center. Chuck Dowdle will host the event, and special guests will include University of Georgia football coach Mark Richt and men’s basketball coach Mark Fox. Tickets are $20 online through April 18, with on-site tickets $30. Reserved tables for 10 are $350. There is no cost for children 6 and younger to attend. Each ticket includes a buffet barbecue dinner, and there will be a cash bar available. Sponsorship opportunities are also available. To learn more, contact Margaret Sullivan at firstname.lastname@example.org or (404) 814-8818.
• The fourth annual American Cancer Society Relay for Life Golf Tournament, sponsored by Robin’s Blue Angels, is scheduled for 1 p.m. Saturday at Nob North Golf Course in Varnell. Entry fee is $75 per person, and teams are made up of two golfers. Lunch is included, and longest drive and closest to pin contests will be held. Prizes will be awarded to first- and second-place teams, based on participation. To learn more, contact Pam Glenn at (706) 280-9928 or email@example.com or Bernice Acuña at (706) 934-4654.
• The 20th annual Whitfield Education Foundation Golf Tournament is scheduled for 1 p.m. on April 28 at Dalton Golf and Country Club. The cost is $550 per four-person team or $150 per individual. Winning teams will receive prizes, and all participants will receive unlimited range balls, tournament favors and a buffet lunch. Funds raised will support innovative teaching grants for Whitfield County Schools. Registration forms are available at wcs.whitfield.k12.ga.us. To learn more, call (706) 217-6756 or write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• A charity golf tournament for Keith Payne is scheduled for 1 p.m. on May 10 at Spring Lakes Golf Course in Murray County. Payne was injured in a car accident on March 13 and money raised from the tournament will help pay for his medical expenses. The format is four-person select shot and first, second and third places will be awarded. Chick-Fil-A will be served. The cost is $75 per person, and hole sponsors and donations will also be accepted. To learn more, call Charlie Johnson at (706) 695-9300 or Tony Moneymaker at (706) 463-1652.
• The 39th annual Roman Open Charities Golf Tournament is scheduled for May 12 at Dalton Golf and Country Club. There will be tee times in the morning and afternoon, and the cost is $800 for each four-man team. There will also be a designated championship flight that will be played in the morning, and the cost is $1,000 per team. The winners of the championship flight will receive trophies and have their team name engraved on a trophy which will be on display at the club. Funds raised will be distributed to local charities. For more information, to register a team, to volunteer or to sponsor the event, contact Andrea Ownbey at email@example.com or (706) 980-3884. Businesses wanting to help sponsor the event should write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Northwest Whitfield High School will host a 3-on-3 basketball tournament at 10 a.m. on May 17. There will be male and female division for third- through fifth-graders, sixth- through eighth-graders, ninth- through 12th-graders and 18 and older. The cost is $45 per team. To learn more, contact Greg Brown at (706) 260-7673 or email@example.com.
• Murray County High School’s Future Indians Football Camp for first- through eighth-graders is scheduled for 9 to 11:30 a.m. on June 2-5 at the school. The cost is $20 per camper. To learn more, call (706) 695-1414.
• Northwest Whitfield High School’s girls basketball program will host its “Camp of Champions” for upcoming kindergartners through ninth-graders from 9:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. on June 2-5 at the school. The cost is $50 and each girl will receive a T-shirt. To learn more, contact Greg Brown t (706) 260-7673 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Champions of Dalton (419 S. Glenwood Ave.) will host Dobbins Softball Consulting and Development’s collegiate offensive skills clinic for ages 13 to 18 from 6 to 8:30 p.m. on June 25. Instructors will include Fred Gillum (Piedmont College), Jessie Homesley (Shorter University), Brad Irwin (East Tennessee State University), Frank Reed (University of Tennessee-Chattanooga) and Tiffany Wilkinson (Tennessee Tech University). The cost is $50 per player, pre-registration is required and the clinic is limited to 50 players. To register, visit dobbinssoftballcd.com. To learn more, contact Lee Dobbins at email@example.com or (423) 552-0490.
• SwimAmerica lessons for all ages are available through July 25. New sessions start every two weeks and will be held in the afternoon/evening until the end of the school year and then throughout the day through the end of the class period. To learn more, call (706) 370-7946 or visit daltonswimming.org.