February 20, 2014

Catoosa sheriff: Man commits suicide after SWAT standoff

By Adam Cook, Catoosa County News

— Roads were blocked and a neighborhood evacuated Wednesday evening during a five-hour standoff, which ended with a “Most Wanted” Catoosa County man committing suicide.

The man, 63-year-old Alonzo Shackleford Hood Sr., fired shots Wednesday afternoon at a Catoosa County animal control officer who was near Hood’s home on Casaloma Trail off Three Notch Road picking up a dog.

The officer notified the Catoosa County Sheriff’s Office, and deputies quickly began blocking off Three Notch Road and securing the neighborhood.

“Animal control personnel were at the residence responding to a call of an abandoned dog, when shots were fired at them from within the house,” said Catoosa County Sheriff Gary Sisk. “Our first officers got to the scene very quickly, and more shots were fired at them upon their arrival. We then secured the perimeter and made contact with the shooter in order to resolve the situation.”

After hours of negotiation with Hood, the Georgia State Patrol SWAT team threw tear gas into the home where he was hiding in an attempt to flush him out.

“We threw the chemical agent into the residence, but received no response,” Sisk said. “We also attempted to communicate with the suspect via loudspeaker, which was also unsuccessful.”

Ultimately, Sisk said the SWAT team sent a robot into the home.

“We were able to breach the door and then enter the home via robot,” Sisk said. “The robot located the subject lying in the floor with blood on him, revealing that he had made the decision to take his own life.”

The standoff ended around 9:45 p.m.

Sisk said Hood was wanted by his office for aggravated sexual battery and three counts of child molestation.

“Warrants were issued for Mr. Hood in early February, and the residence he was hiding in was listed as his,” Sisk said. “We recently checked the residence to serve the warrants, but were informed that Hood hadn’t been at the residence for some time.”

The Sheriff’s Office’s Facebook page listed Hood as one of its “Most Wanted” on Tuesday, Feb. 11.

Sisk said no shots were fired by any of the law enforcement agencies involved, and that no law enforcement members were injured by the shots Hood fired.

The incident did however cause a stir along Battlefield Parkway for residents trying to get near the area.

Local resident Margaret Rhodes, who lives near the area where the standoff occurred, said she had difficulty getting home during the incident. “It was crazy,” Rhodes said. “They had all the police cars blocking that end of Three Notch Road and the roads around it. We didn’t know what was going on at first. I hate that somebody died, but I’m just glad our police weren’t hurt.”

Sisk said that although the incident is over, the ending was unfortunate.

“We appreciate the help we received from the other agencies, but we’re sorry the incident ended the way it did, with Mr. Hood choosing to take his own life,” Sisk said. “We would have much rather had a more peaceful outcome. Our prayers go out to Mr. Hood’s family and friends.”