State News

March 19, 2013

Historic chapel at Georgia air base finds new home

MARIETTA — Members of the Dobbins Chapel Foundation saw more than seven years of work culminate Sunday morning, when a church that had stood near the entrance to the base started its move.

“She looks pretty rugged right now, a little worn around the edges,” said retired Air Force Reserve Col. John Powers, chairman of the nonprofit foundation. “But you can assure that this chapel foundation is committed to making sure this chapel looks good again.”

After Col. Tim Tarchick, commander of Dobbins Air Reserve Base, received proper clearance, the chapel was off on its two mile journey across the complex’s runway to a spot at the Clay National Guard Center. The John Deere 544K loader carrying the 60,000-pound building made quick work, taking the church nearly out of sight within minutes.

Tarchick told the audience of about 50 people that the chapel had to be moved because of post-Sept. 11 security demands that Dobbins build a new access road right where the building had been located since 1950. Since no federal funds can be spent on a chapel at a reserve base, that left the building’s future in question.

He called signing the papers to build the road among the toughest decisions he’s had to make.

Tarchick praised the seven members of the Dobbins Chapel Foundation, a group of retired air reservists, for their work in raising money to move the chapel and keep it from demolition.

“To many who have been a part of Dobbins over the years, the chapel was a spiritual home, where prayers were prayed, marriages began, children were dedicated and loved ones were said goodbye to,” he said. “I knew the chapel roots were deep, I didn’t realize how wide they were.”

Powers thanked an anonymous donor who earlier this year pledged $80,000 to the nonprofit foundation that allowed the building to be moved.

“Had it not been for that donor, I would not be standing here today,” he said. “That chapel would be a pile of rubble in a landfill somewhere.”

But work remains on the chapel. The chapel foundation, which bought the 4,000-square-foot white church from Dobbins for $1, has a year to bring the building up to military code, which would allow it to host services again.

Powers said the work, which will require new siding and air conditioning and plumbing systems, will cost $50,000.

While the foundation had already raised $20,000 of that, he said much of that went toward unexpected costs of $3,500 to cut trees on the Clay side of the base and $11,000 to a Georgia power company to move power lines.

Both those alterations were required in order to move the chapel.

“It’s a sticker shock that we have to pay so much money,” Powers said. “Since we are a 501(c)3, we thought that would get us some breaks.”

Powers said he’d never seen anything like the church being towed across the runway.

The process of moving it was expected to take between four and five hours.

“To stand here and watch that chapel go across there it really is unbelievable — once in a lifetime,” he said.

Marietta Mayor Steve Tumlin, who sat in the front row at the ceremony, said it always gave him a good feeling to see a church at a military base when he drove by the building along Cobb Parkway.

“I think it says a lot about the intangible side of our military,” Tumlin said. “They’ve got to make decisions for strategic reasons, but to let the people who love the chapel have input into saving it, it brings a lot of pride to me . I’m glad we can’t sequester the spirit.”


Information from: Marietta Daily Journal,


Text Only
State News
  • One charged in death of Dalton woman, another sought

    A Dalton woman found dead in Calhoun earlier this month is believed to have died of a drug overdose after two Calhoun residents abandoned her in a car behind the VFW on East Line Street, Lt. Tony Pyle with the Calhoun Police Department said Wednesday afternoon.

    June 18, 2014

  • Guard shot at FedEx center to undergo 14th surgery

    A security guard critically wounded when a gunman went on a rampage at a FedEx facility is scheduled to undergo his 14th operation Tuesday.

    May 27, 2014

  • Arson ruled out as cause of chemical plant fire

    Police say investigators have been able to rule out arson or foul play as the cause of a massive fire at a chemical plant outside Atlanta that spewed black smoke and flames visible for miles.

    May 27, 2014

  • Teen tied to shopping cart drowns in lake

    Georgia Department of Natural Resources officials say a teen has died after being tied to a shopping cart and pushed into Lake Allatoona.

    May 25, 2014

  • Underground tattoo artists frustrate officials

    The work of tattoo artists whose living rooms double as body art studios might come cheap, but experts say the unsterile -- and illegal -- work environments could leave clients in pain long after the initial sting of the needle subsides.

    May 25, 2014

  • No runoff lets Republicans focus on Rep. Barrow

    While Georgia Republicans have to wait until July to settle runoff races for the U.S. Senate and three open House seats, one of the biggest GOP victories in the primary elections last week went to Augusta businessman Rick W. Allen.

    May 25, 2014

  • Audit probes juvenile justice turnover rate

    A state audit cites low pay, long hours and management concerns as reasons for a relatively high turnover rate at the Georgia Department of Juvenile Justice.

    May 25, 2014

  • Atlanta schools ex-tech director to be sentenced

    After his relationship with the superintendent of Atlanta’s school system soured, a former technology director for the district set up a kickback scheme to pad his pockets before he left his job, according to court documents.

    May 24, 2014

  • Georgia veteran, 92, honored at surprise ceremony

    Family and friends surprised a 92-year-old World War II veteran from Georgia on Memorial Day by honoring him and presenting him with the World War II Victory Medal.

    May 24, 2014

  • Police: Massive chemical plant fire extinguished

    Authorities say a massive fire at a chemical plant outside Atlanta that spewed black smoke and flames visible for miles has been extinguished.

    May 24, 2014