Gov. Nathan Deal has announced a plan to spend about $27 million in state and federal funding to hire new case workers and supervisors for the state Department of Family and Children’s Services.
Deal spokesman Brian Robinson said Wednesday that the governor’s budget proposal for fiscal year 2015, which begins July 1, will include about $7.4 million in state funding to hire additional personnel for the agency.
Robinson says the governor plans to supplement that money with federal funding and reallocate that amount in fiscal years 2016 and 2017.
Robinson says the proposal calls for hiring 146 new case workers and 29 supervisors each year.
Earlier Wednesday, the department announced the firings of two employees after the deaths of two children the agency had been involved with.