School district officials in western Georgia are asking parents to ensure their children aren’t playing a game called the “Knockout Challenge.”
Muscogee County spokeswoman Valerie Fuller sent an automated phone message to parents and an email last week warning them of the game, The Ledger-Enquirer of Columbus reported Monday (http://bit.ly/1e42mns ).
Officials say the game’s participants take several deep breaths until they feel dizzy. A second participant then applies pressure to the first participant’s chest until they temporarily lose consciousness.
The game poses health risks — including death — to participants, Columbus Regional Health Chief of Pediatrics Dr. Joseph Zanga said.
Fuller is asking parents to monitor their children’s cellphone and social media conversations to ensure they’re not participating in the game.
The children who have reportedly been involved in the game were middle school students, Fuller told the newspaper.
“Talk of it was overheard and reported to school administrators. Students were questioned and reportedly admitted to participating in the game at some point during the school year,” she said, adding that school officials have not gotten any reports of students being injured after participating.
Information from: Columbus Ledger-Enquirer, http://ledger-enquirer.com