VARNELL — Boys team
• Parker Cook, Northwest: If it seems like Cook and his brother Brody were joined at the hip, they were the entire season. Parker was the leader for the Bruins the entire year, and the duo were the only two runners in the area to go under 18 minutes in Carrollton at the state meet. Parker, a senior, finished fourth in the Region 7-4A meet, and the duo seemed to feed off of each other going back and forth all year with their places. At the Big Harry Run at Lakeshore Park, Parker was third overall with Brody first by three seconds. Parker was 23rd overall at the state meet with a time of 17:41. This is the second year Parker Cook has made the all-area team after being named honorable mention as a junior.
• Brody Cook, Northwest: Ditto, almost. Brody was the top finisher at the Big Harry and was fifth at the Region 7-4A meet. At the state meet in Carrollton, Brody was 24th overall right behind his brother in a time of 17:41. This is Brody’s third straight selection to the team, and it continues a strong family tradition as well. Older sister Jordi Cook was named All-Area Runner of the Year as a freshman in 2006. The Cooks were a big reason why Northwest finished 12th at state, three slots ahead of the rival Catamounts.
• Francisco Perez, Dalton: Perez was the best of a three-headed monster of pack racing that Dalton used to qualify for the state meet and post impressive numbers all year. Along with Brandon Pineda and Noel Salaices, Perez led the way at region with a seventh-place finish, while Pineda was eighth, and the pair flipped at state with Perez 46th in 18:22 and Pineda 43rd in 18:20. Perez, a junior, had the best time of the year for Dalton with a 16:41, 13 seconds faster than his teammate. This is the second straight all-area selection for Perez.
• Servio Martinez, Murray County: A junior, Martinez was the true leader of quite a strong pack. The Indians finished second at region and seventh overall at the Class 2A state meet in Carrollton. Martinez had a pair of second-place finishes in meets, with a third and fifth as well. At the region meet, he qualified for state with a sixth-place finish. He was 27th overall at state (18:56), and his season-best time was 17:46. This is Martinez’s second selection to the team after being named honorable mention last year.
• Honorable mention: Coahulla Creek — Junior Villereal, Missael Fraire; Dalton — Brandon Pineda, Noel Salaices; Murray County — Ivan Delgado; Northwest Whitfield — Henson Gibbs.